Bearing Witness to the Word Among Us
Witness, Testimony and Transformation
Young Adult Friends Conference 2010
Get detailed information about the gathering here:YAF 2010 Advance Materials
The Latest from the Planning Committee:
Our main speaker will be:
David Williams, Associate Professor of Pastoral Ministries and College Chaplain at Barclay College.
Workshop leaders will include:
- Stephen Angell, Professor of Quaker Studies at Earlham School of Religion.
- Stephen Dotson, Middle School Friends Coordinator for Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and Chairperson of Media and Communications for the Student Christian Movement – USA.
- Ruth Lowe, Student at Guilford College.
- Tyler Hampton, an organizer of the New City Friends worship group in Detroit and Tony Lowe from Fancy Gap Friends Fellowship in Virginia.
Our pastoral care team will include:
- Jean-Marie Barch, Friends Elder and long-time leader in the work of Friends General Conference. (Baltimore Yearly Meeting)
- LaVonna Loesch, Minister of Music and Good Will at University Friends Meeting. (Great Plains and Mid-America Yearly Meeting)
- Don Wight, Friends Elder and Youth Leader. (Evangelical Friends Church – Eastern Region)
- Emily Wight, Friends Elder and Youth Leader. (Evangelical Friends Church – Eastern Region)
- Tony Lowe, Friends Minister and Pastor. (North Carolina Yearly Meeting – FUM)
- Carlos Moran, Friends Minister and Pastor. (Evangelical Friends Church – Eastern Region)
- Evelyn Jadin, Friends Minister. (North Carolina Yearly Meeting- FUM)
- Elizabeth Biddle, intern with Friends Committee on National Legislation. (Philadelphia Yearly Meeting)
- Mary Lord, Friends Minister and resident at Pendle Hill. (Baltimore Yearly Meeting)
- Laura Norlin, Youth Leader. (SAYMA)
A Description of and Invitation to YAF Gathering 2010:
On Friday, May 28 – Monday, May 31, 2010, Young Adult Friends (aged 18-35) from across North America will come together in Wichita, Kansas, for a gathering entitled: “Bearing Witness to the Word Among Us – Witness, Testimony and Transformation.” Our scriptural focus will be 1 John 1:1-3:
“We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the word of life – this life was revealed, and we have seen it and testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us – we declare to you what we have seen and heard so that you may also have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.”
It is our prayer that this gathering will be a time for Young Adult Friends from a wide variety of Yearly Meetings to gather to worship God, share in fellowship, and grow together in our faith as Friends.
Following the weekend gathering, those who are able to stay longer will have an opportunity for a shared service project, Tuesday, June 1 – Thursday, June 3. Young Adult Friends will work together to let our faith shine, demonstrating our love for the people of Wichita.
Finally, Thursday, June 3 – Sunday, June 6, Great Plains Yearly Meeting invites Friends to join them for their annual sessions, also held in Wichita. Great Plains Yearly Meeting is a unique Friends body, that spans much of the diversity of the Religious Society of Friends in the United States. GPYM is affiliated with Friends United Meeting, and is composed of both pastoral and unprogrammed Meetings. Some of these Meetings are individually affiliated with Evangelical Friends Church or Friends General Conference. Great Plains Yearly Meeting is at a critical point in its history and is seeking God’s guidance for how it might move forward despite great challenges. Young Adult Friends are heartily welcomed and encouraged to attend GPYM’s 2010 sessions, and to participate in the life and business of the Yearly Meeting.
Please consider joining us for any of these dates, whether for the weekend gathering (May 28-31), the service days (June 1-3), Great Plains Yearly Meeting (June 4-6), or some combination of the three. We hope that you will be with us as we gather to worship God, share in fellowship, and are challenged to serve others as Christ calls us to. Please save these dates, and let other young adults know about this opportunity to deepen our faith together as we are gathered and led by the Holy Spirit.